MAX IV

The MAX IV Laboratory is a synchrotron radiation facility located in Lund, Sweden.

It is a national Swedish laboratory operated by Lund University and the Swedish Research Council (VR) that has been offering synchrotron light to a broad international research community for more than 30 years. Currently the laboratory has around 210 employees.  The MAX IV Laboratory has been operating the old MAX-lab that was closed in December 2015. The old facility was visited by about a 1000 scientists yearly that performed experiments in areas as diverse as electron spectroscopy and protein crystallography. The facility was specialised at experiments in the soft X-ray regime but a couple of hard X-Ray beamlines were also present. In addition, the laboratory excelled in accelerator physics. The new facility MAX IV consists of a 1.5 and a 3 GeV storage ring as well as a short pulse facility at the end of a long LINAC for time resolved experiments. Since the design of the 3 GeV storage ring contains a novel multibend achromat design, the emittance is below 0.3 nm rad which means that it is the world's brightest storage ring-based light source. The facility was inaugurated in June 2016 and during 2016 the first beamlines have become operational with first general users being accepted for experiments in Spring 2017.

At present, 14 beamlines are funded for the MAX IV facility and these are in different stages of operation, commissioning, construction and design.  Eight of these beamlines will be at the 3 GeV ring, five at the 1.5 GeV ring and one is at the short pulse facility (SPF) at the MAX IV linac. All of these beamlines will become operational in the period from now to 2019 and it is foreseen that the facility will have approximately 2000 users/year at the end of 2019. Furthermore, funding for additional beamlines is currently being sought.